Copper intrauterine devices (IUDs), also known as copper coils, include Flexi T, Eurogine, and Monalisa. Like any other contraceptive, they have their advantages and disadvantages.
- It protects against pregnancy for 5 years (Flexi T, Eurogine) or 10 years (Monalisa).
- They are among the most effective contraceptives available in Malta.
- Once an IUD is fitted, it works straight away.
- Most people with a womb can use it, regardless of their medical history.
- There are no hormonal side effects, such as acne, headaches or breast tenderness.
- It does not interrupt sex.
- It's safe to use an IUD if you're breastfeeding.
- It's possible to get pregnant as soon as the IUD is removed.
- It's not affected by other medicines.
- There's no evidence that an IUD will affect your weight or increase the risk of cervical cancer, womb (uterus) cancer or ovarian cancer.
- Your periods may become heavier, longer or more painful, though this may improve after a few months.
- It does not protect against STIs, so you may need to use condoms as well.
- If you get an infection when you have an IUD fitted, it could lead to a pelvic infection if not treated.