Most medicines, including most antibiotics, do not interact with the morning after pills.
However, these medicines do interact with morning after pills and may reduce their efficacy:
- the herbal medicine St John’s Wort
- some medicines used to treat epilepsy
- some medicines used to treat HIV
- some medicines used to treat tuberculosis (rifampicin and rifabutin)
- medication such as omeprazole and lansoprazole that make your stomach less acidic
Speak to your pharmacist for advice if you take any of these medicines. ellaOne cannot be used if you are already taking one of these medicines, as it may not be effective. Levonelle may still be used, but the dose may need to be increased – your doctor or pharmacist can advise on this.